The following post comes to us from our partners at FOX Rehabilitation who offer in-house physical, occupational, and speech* therapy. You’ll find FOX Rehab services in the following Autumn Leaves locations:
Autumn Leaves of Carrollton (Texas)
Autumn Leaves of Cityview (Texas)
Autumn Leaves of Cypresswood (Texas)
Autumn Leaves of Franklin (Wisconsin)
*Speech therapy may not be currently available at all locations
Falls are a major economic and social issue across the United States. In fact, one-third of the older adult population over the age of 65 falls each year and the risk of falls increases proportionately with age. Falls are the leading cause of injury-related deaths, unintentional injuries, and hospital admissions for trauma. Research supports the most effective interventions to manage falls risk are those that incorporate exercise. Physical and occupational therapists can help achieve optimal results through a structured, customized program of properly dosed progressive therapeutic exercise.
How can Fall Risk prevention programming improve residents’ lives?
• Improved Walking Speed: While it may surprise you, people who walk at slower speeds are at a higher risk for falls and hospitalization. Skilled exercise instruction has been shown to improve walking speed in older adults.
• Improved Community Mobility: Programs consisting of strength and balance exercises, together with endurance training, can enhance physical performance in older adults.
• Improved Object Negotiation: Programs that include agility and visual training improve obstacle avoidance and decrease the risk of falls.
• Fewer Falls: Evidenced-based fall prevention programs designed for older adults have been shown to be effective in reducing both the number of falls and the number of injuries resulting from falls.
How Fox Rehabilitation Can Help
• A comprehensive baseline evaluation, after which a physical therapist will work with you to increase your ability to avoid falls
• The clinician will also perform a home safety assessment to help you prevent injury by identifying potential obstacles that increase the likelihood of a fall at home/in your room
• Clinicians will provide training and assistance tailored to your ability, taking into consideration the medications you use and the effect those medications may have on your fall risk
• FOX will provide skilled therapeutic guidance, including strength training, dynamic balance and endurance training in the comfort of your home
• FOX will provide group classes to help you stay healthy and safe